These quality organic
English walnut pieces are raw, mostly halves and quarters.
1. Walnuts are low in saturated fat and high in polyunsaturated and
2. Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. The 1.5
ounces of walnuts cited by the FDA also more than fulfill the daily requirement
of essential omega-3 fatty acids, a critical nutrient deficient in the American
diet. Among tree nuts, walnuts are distinctive because of their concentration of
omega-3 fatty acids.
3. Walnuts contain no cholesterol and are an important source of dietary fiber
and protein. They are also a good source of many vitamins and minerals including
potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, vitamin B1, B6, folate, and
4. Research has found that eating regular amounts of walnuts reduces bad
cholesterol (LDL) in the blood.
5. With a 7:1 ratio of polyunsaturated to saturated fat, walnuts are one of the
highest naturally occurring sources of polyunsaturated fats.
6. Polyunsaturated fats are an important source of essential fatty acids.
Walnuts are a rich plant source of alpha-linolenic acid, a key EFA from which
omega-3 fatty acids are derived.
7. Eating a handful of walnuts a day can lower blood cholesterol. The results of
a study conducted at Loma Linda University and reported in 1993 in the New
England Journal of Medicine determined that walnuts were beneficial in reducing
blood cholesterol levels and protecting against heart disease. Researchers at
Loma Linda found that when men with normal cholesterol values were given walnuts
instead of foods high in saturated fat and, when calorie levels were held
constant, their blood cholesterol levels dropped by more than 12% and their LDL,
or bad cholesterol, lowered by more than 16%.
8. Walnuts are a natural source of phytochemicals and antioxidants which protect
cells from free radical damage that could result in cancers or heart
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
Nutrient Amount %DV
Calories from Fat 180 Total
Fat 20 31%
Saturated Fat 1 g 8%
Cholesterol 0 mg 0% Sodium
0 mg 0% Total
Carbohydrate 3 g 1%
Dietary Fiber 4 g 14%
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2% Iron